Monday, September 12, 2005

Gah

See also 'Dammit'. Just done a crowd scene for the Cabinet, in which I was able to sneak in a description of an old man whose left arm is a swans wing. A tiny reference to the Brothers Grimm story 'The Six Swans', and very pleased with it I was too. I could even see a picture in my mind's eye of what he'd look like... and then I realised that's because he's a background character in one of Neil Gaiman's Sandman books (he seems to hang around Dream's castle with a mop). So I had to rewrite that bit.

I'm slightly behind schedule on the Cabinet, partly because I spent all of last week GWing, but also because my thousand words a day, which I calculated should by now have me at the two thirds point, has instead left me at the 'just over halfway through' point. Still, the pace is picking up now anyway, and a thousand words a day isn't that much if you're making stuff up as opposed to say, writing a report, or an essay. My end of September deadline is still doable - I just have to be a bit more focused. So a break for toy-fu for the moment (Matt is putting together an updated site for me, I'll link when it's ready), but it'll be just as cutting edge and politically relevant when it returns.*

Also watched Fanny and Alexander on cello's recommendation, and spookily marvellous it was too. Any film which in the first twenty minutes can make me say 'well, it's a bit slow so far-OHMYGODTHATSTATUEJUSTMOVED!' and fall off my hotel bed has to be good. And an excellent jumpy bit at the end, as well. Brrrr. Also just as I was starting to wonder how the library in the Bishop's house looks so like the one I've imagined for the Cabinet, we move to Isak Jacobi's emporium, stuffed with statues, mirrors, pictures, marrionettes, an androgynous telepath and a puppet of God, and realised exactly how I'm going to do my spare room if I ever get my own place.




*as in 'not very'.

11 comments:

cello said...

I'm so pleased you liked it. It's a very special film to me. And I knew that Isak's house would press all your buttons. Did you jump when the Bishop just appears walking behind Alexander? That's the bit that makes my skin prickle.

Erland Josephson (Isak) is one of Bergman's favourite actors and often plays the roles that are autobiographical, though in this case, obviously, it's Alexander being the fictionalised chilhood Bergman.

cello said...

And meant to say ...over halfway through! That's fantastic and you'll be romping home in no time at all.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read your blog for a while. What's the cabinet?

James Henry said...

That's my kid's book I'm writing, called "The Cabinet of Curiosities". I've put the link to the first chapter up in the post now.

And yes, that bit did make me jump. Also, at least five moments that have made their way into 'The Sixth Sense' interestingly... Speaking of which, did you know it didn't occur to them that the Bruce Willis character should be dead until the fifth or possibly sixth draft?

Bearded Lady said...

I love the six swans - its my fav fairy tale

patroclus said...

Just to clarify, would that be a puppet that represents God, or an actual agent of the Deity?

Anonymous said...

OK, this is not related to this, or any other recent, post but I can't wait any longer to tell you! I went to see Arcade Fire supporting Franz Ferdinand, purely because of what I'd read on here about them (Ladytron were the alternative support) AND they were fabulous, I loved them! I now own the EP and album and have bought 2 further copies of the album as birthday presents. Thank you James, for bringing them to my attention in the first place - I'm hooked!

James Henry said...

Glad you like them - have a look at http://banananutrament.blogspot.com/2005/09/arcade-fire-and-david-bowie-wuzzzup.html , as they had a David Bowie sings with Arcade Fire mp3, which is quite lovely.

And I'm just looking up Sara Crewe, of whom I'm ashamed to say I have never previously heard...

Anonymous said...

Lovely indeed, thanks again! They opened their set with "Wake Up" when I saw them in concert and I was instantly won over. I'm sorry if I sound like an old fart trying too hard - but I think my reaction is genuine. After all, I did watch the Mercury Prize and, despite what all the pundits were saying about the eventual winner, I was not moved. At all. Not one bit.

Incidentally, I think Sara Crewe could teach some modern day "princesses" a lot about dignity in adversity.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of Sara Crewe? The Little Princess? You obviously had a deprived childhood...

James Henry said...

Aha, but that would be a girl's book, you see.

Although to be fair, so was A Swish Of The Curtain, which I thought was great, it's just that no-one told me...