Thursday, October 29, 2009

I see him as quite a calm person.

A secret correspondent writes (I've filed all the serial numbers off to make sure no-one gets into trouble:

I don't know how common knowledge this is- in radio scripts the term OMNES is used to mean 'all,' as in everyone speaks the same line. But in radio land everyone knows what it means. Or certainly should do.

A friend got a script turned down by Radio Four with one of the script reader's comments being "I am not convinced the character Omnes has been sufficiently developed in this script, and seems rather incidental to the story."


Which made me LOL.

7 comments:

ScroobiousScrivener said...

A friend tells the story of meeting with a certain BBC commissioning editor to discuss possible projects, and mentioning wanting to do a Kipling biopiccy thingy. "Kipling," mused the editor, "Kipling... why does that name sound familiar?"

James Henry said...

Oh my gawd.

laurence timms said...

Facepalm. Didn't these script kiddies read Shakespeare at school? That stuff is riddled with 'Exuent Omnes'.

Perhaps they struggled through English Lit always wondering about this Omnes geezer but never plucking up the courage to ask.

pseudontai said...

Clearly as the nominative plural form of omnis, omnis (nt): "all men, all persons," the implication is clear.

Oh for the return of state-funded Classical education.

Sic transit gloria mundi, what? Right ho.

Newf said...

I've been advised by over a billion people that script reading is "a way in". Meaning that lots of wet-behind-the-ears twenny-one-year-olds do script reading. Meaning that etc. etc.

Jayne said...

*headdesk*

Salvadore Vincent said...

I did a kind of laugh/cry thing. I will be spreading this one far and wide...